POSITION: CLINIC NURSE LPN
DEPARTMENT: Bay Mills Health Center - Medical Clinic GRADE: DOE
Under the direction of the Clinic Nursing Supervisor, this position is established to provide ambulatory care nursing services to patients seen in our clinic. The Clinic Nurse will promote continuity of care, provide patient education, and provide health maintenance to clinic patients. The Clinic Nurse will triage unscheduled appointments and triage patient phone calls.
1. Assists the physician/family nurse practitioner as a skilled practical nurse in the daily operations of the outpatient medical clinic.
2. Demonstrates positive communication through friendly, pleasant and professional verbal skills.
3. Demonstrates the ability to meet the needs of the customer (both internal and external customers) in a caring, competent manner.
4. Accurately prioritize information and refers to appropriate personnel.
5. Maintains confidentiality with respect to any and all information learned through performing this role.
6. Meet patient needs through telephone nursing and non appointed urgent care visits. Telephone nursing provides information to patients to allow them to gain access to appropriate care and making informed decisions, while encouraging self-care and preventative measures for maintaining health.
7. Administer oral, rectal, subcutaneous, intra-muscular and intra-venous medications, fluids and immunizations as prescribed by provider or by standing order.
8. Performs tests such as ECGs, spirometry, pulse oximetry, and vision screening.
9. Direct patient care; collaborate with data collection, patient/family education, evaluation of outcomes, and discharges.
10. Communicates in order to collaborate, coordinate and maintain continuity of quality of care with all interdisciplinary team members.
11. Expedite patient plan of care, education and discharge plan; problem solving with other clinic associates.
12. Evaluates patient’s response to care through observation and motivational interviewing techniques.
13. Makes/tracks referrals to community-based resources.
14. Actively participates in daily huddle with the clinical support team, FOS and provider to review the daily schedule and enhance patient flow.
15. Must attend all mandatory or departmental training offered by the Bay Mills Human Resource Department.
16. Other duties may be assigned within the scope and complexity of this position’s essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and walk. The employee’s work is completed from the medical clinic area and involves direct, daily contact with sick patients. The employee may come in contact with communicable diseases and appropriate precautions must be taken to prevent the spread of these illnesses or diseases. Some diseases have the potential to be life threatening as in the case of some blood borne pathogens and specific protective measures must be followed at all times. The employee may be required to lifting patients or other strenuous physical activity when rendering first aid or while providing patient care. The ability to diffuse potentially volatile patients through calm, private, non-threatening communication is essential. The employee completes their work under normal office conditions, temperatures, and is environmentally controlled the majority of the time. Potential for exposure to blood or body fluids or other infectious diseases is present during patient and family contacts.
1. Active Michigan State License for Licensed Practical Nurse.
2. Must have at least two years of experience in a clinical outpatient nursing.
3. Experience in clinical filing and record keeping.
4. Must have working knowledge of computers.
5. Experience in working with and/or knowledge of Native American culture.
6. Experience and familiarity with privacy and confidentiality regulations and implementation of.
7. Must posses a personable, client friendly attitude along with organizational ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
8. Must successfully pass all background checks.
9. Must have excellent past work history and excellent attendance record as demonstrated through employment references.
10. To perform this position successfully, and individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each function listed under the essential functions and physical demands categories of this position description.
PREFERENCE: Preference will be given to those of Native American descent.
CLOSING DATE: September 19, 2014 (4:30pm)
APPLY TO: Send Resume and job bid form to:
Heather Lyons; Recruiter
Bay Mills Human Resources Department
12124 W. Lakeshore Drive
Brimley, MI 49715
Subject: Clinic Nurse LPN